If incase you computer is being accessed by more than one person, you might want to take some additional security measures to ensure that your files are safe. Windows XP operating system lets its users to encrypt a folder and secure its contents with a password. This article contains instructions for doing the same.
Windows tech support instructions
Mentioned below are the instructions recommended by the Windows tech support team, which will assist you in process of configuring the password protection feature in Windows XP.
In Windows XP Pro
- Start off by locating the folder where in the program is saved on your hard drive.
- Once you have located the folder, right click on it and select the option which says “Properties” from the given menu.
- Go to the tab titled “Advanced”.
- Mark the check box, which says “Encrypt contents to secure data”.
- Hit the button labeled “Apply”.
- Click on the button labeled “Ok” for protecting the file, and you can make use of your profile password you use to login to Windows XP to access the folder.
In Windows XP Home
- First you need to browse to the folder of the program that you want to password protect.
- Continue with this procedure by right clicking on the folder.
- Select the option, which says “Properties” from the given menu.
- Go to the tab titled “Sharing”.
- Mark the check box, which says, “Make this folder private”.
- Hit the “Apply” button.
- Click on “Ok” button to password protect the folder. The next time if you want to access the folder, you will need to enter the login password of your Windows XP operating system.
- If you are not happy with this level of protection, you can think of downloading and installing a third-party encryption utility, which will allow you to configure another password on a folder or individual file.
- If incase you are not using a password for logging in to your Windows XP account, you will be asked to create a new one when you select “Encrypt contents to secure data” or “Make this folder private.”
That is all with the instructions for making a folder password protected in Windows XP. Have a great day!